- This event has passed.
What is land justice?
February 15 @ 9:30 am - 5:00 pm£5.98
The historic root of inequality in Britain is the uneven distribution of land, the rights given to those who own it, and the rights taken from those who don’t.
Come and join the Land Justice Network for a weekend of learning about and exploring how land justice relates to: food; housing; energy; ecosystems, transport, our colonial history, climate resilience and our common good, creating a common base of knowledge from which to build a movement and inform action.
Provisional programme so far:
- Recent history of land rights campaigning in England- speaker TBC
- Land justice and the housing crisis – with Beth Stratford (author of Land For The Many)
- Themed discussion on housing with: Aidan Cassidy (ACORN), Rachel Butler (Bristoltinyhousecommunity), Keith Cowling (Bristol Community Land Trust – TBC), Beth Stratford (author of Land For The Many), Ecomotive (TBC)
- Themed discussion on food and fibre with: Emma Hague (fibreshed); Roz Corbett (Land Workers’ Alliance – TBC); Maddy Longhurst (Blue Finger Alliance – TBC)
- Themed discussion on community land and public space with: Chris Blake (Skyline project); Chris Chalkey (People’s Republic of Stokes Croft); Danny Balla (Coexist – TBC); Nick Hayes – TBC
- Themed discussion on energy and transport infrastructure with: Anna Rothnie (TBC); Peter Harper (TBC); Dave Tudgey (Bristol Energy Network – TBC);
- Workshop on decolonising land ownership with Gentle/Radical (TBC)
- Workshop on right to roam with Nick Hayes (TBC)
- Scotland’s community right to buy- history of a campaign (Roz Corbett – Land Workers’ Alliance – TBC)
- What next for the land justice movement?- collective discussion
Stay at the Trinity Centre on the Saturday night for stories, music and a knees-up – 7pm to 11pm – LJN fundraiser. This is a separate ticket: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/what-is-land-justice-fundraiser-tickets-71681081043
The land justice network is a non-hierarchical network of groups and individuals who work together to raise awareness of land as a common issue underpinning many struggles and injustices. We will be using this event to raise awareness and turn that awareness into action that will challenge and change the status quo.
To get involved in creating this event come to our regular meetings. For details and enquiries email firstname.lastname@example.org and see our web page www.landjustice.uk/southwest
We are also looking for volunteers to help on the day – in exchange for a free ticket. Get in touch by email if you’re keen. We are charging for tickets, but no-one will te turned away for lack of funds.